MONROVIA, CA. (July 27, 1998) - Parasoft, leading provider of ground-breaking development tools for C, C++, and Java, announced today the award of its newest technology patents. The technologies patented are being used to power Parasoft's new line of automatic white-box testing tools. The first tool released with this new technology is jtest!, an automatic module testing tool for Java™ developers.
The patented technologies are being marketed as "Test Generation Technology." With Test Generation Technology, Parasoft addresses the long-standing need for tools that can help speed up the development process by automating the test suite generation process.
"When we first proposed this idea, everyone laughed at us," recalls Parasoft President/CEO Dr. Adam Kolawa. " They said it could never be done. Just like with our previous technology patents, our engineers once again achieved what others said was impossible and amazing tools are being created by Parasoft as a result."
With Test Generation Technology, Parasoft has created a method for delivering tools which can dramatically reduce the man-hours spent testing software programs while substantially increasing the amount of code tested. As a result, overall software quality is improved, less bugs are shipped to customers, and developers have more time to spend working on new projects instead of testing and repairing old code. "It's like a dream come true!" says Kolawa.
Historically, test suite generation, execution, and analysis were tasks left for the developer to perform manually. But as software programs have increased in size and complexity, the difficulty of generating a test suite that executes most of the source code has increased by orders of magnitude. In a typical 10,000 line program, the developer is responsible for testing 100 million possible execution paths. This is a virtually impossible task for a developer to accomplish manually.
Recent studies reiterate this point, revealing that while a typical company spends 50% of development time on software testing, only 30% of the source code developed is actually tested. The remaining 70% is too difficult to reach through manual testing and therefore is never tested. The Test Generation technology invented by Parasoft--and used in Parasoft tools like jtest! -- will help companies produce more reliable and successful software by automatically testing parts of code that have been virtually impossible to cover previously.
About jtest! v2.0
jtest! brings Test Generation technology to life for the benefit of Java™ developers. With jtest! 2.0, Java™ developers can automatically test programs at the class, or module, level. This unprecedented ability gives Java™ developers the power to automatically find the hidden bugs in their code which cause uncaught runtime exceptions to occur. Prior to jtest!v2.0, no tools were available to perform this kind of testing automatically. As a result, bugs often remained hidden to developers because they were unable to expose them during testing. jtest! solves this problem by digging deep into a class and making sure each method in it has been properly constructed.
This innovative testing approach is working wonders for developers. Steve Brim of Wall Data Inc. says "jtest! 2.0 has increased our testing efficiency by automating code coverage and identifying runtime exceptions."
Because it tests exhaustively at the module level, jtest! 2.0 can mean more effective code is produced by all manner of Java™ developers, including:
"With our patented Test Generation Technology" says jtest! team leader Roman Salvador. "jtest! is able to do automatically what no other testing tool can do, period. No serious Java™ development should be conducted without jtest!, and certainly no Java™ product should be considered bug-free until it is tested with jtest!"
jtest! is available for the Windows 95/NT and Solaris platforms. Free evaluations are available from the Parasoft website at http://www.parasoft.com/products/jtest or by calling 1-888-305-0041. Purchases can be made by calling 1-888-305-0041.
Parasoft develops and markets advanced software development tools for UNIX, Windows, and the emerging Java™ market. Parasoft's award-winning tools assist developers and managers in improving software quality, accelerating time to market, and reducing development costs. Parasoft's headquarters is located at 2031 S. Myrtle Ave., Monrovia, CA 91016. Telephone: (888) 305-0041. Fax: (626) 305-3036. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. WWW: http://parasoft.com.
Parasoft and jtest! are trademarks of Parasoft Corporation.
All other brand and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
Editor note: Product evaluations and Screen shots available.